I am no expert when it comes to the topic of self-publishing, but I know people who are. It’s been a hot topic lately, both in the genealogical community and in general. I’ve come across several articles that may help you decide whether self-publishing is something you want to pursue.
Biff Barnes, historian and writer behind the Stories to Tell Blog, kicked off the new year with a series of posts about self-publishing. If you are considering publishing a book in the near future, these are must-read posts.
- Publishing a Book in 2013? Self-Publish It!
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Traditional Publishing
- The Pros and Cons of Self-Publishing Your Book
- Self-Publishing a Book: New Roles for a Writer
- Self-Publishing a Book: Choosing an Editor
- Self-Publishing a Book: What Does It Cost?
- Two Questions Authors Should Ask Before Self-Publishing a Book
- Self-Publish a Book: How We Choose a Printer
- Self-Publish a Book: Thoughts on Marketing Considerations
I’ve also run across several posts on the subject of self-publishing from various writers. All of these posts offer general advice about self-publishing and do not relate to genealogy specifically. Nonetheless, they are still worth the read.
- 5 Things I’ve Learned From Self-Publishing, James Calbraith
- The Top Ten Mistakes Writers Make When Self-Publishing a Book, Guy Kawasaki
- 10 Things I’ve Learned About Self-Publishing, Joel Friedlander
- Legal Issues in Self-Publishing: What Authors Need to Know, Bernard Starr
- 17 Things Self-Publishers Need to Know About Book Design, Joel Friedlander
- Great Reasons to Self-Publish: 7 Case Histories, Alan Rinzler
- 4 Obstacles to Self-Publishing Success, Joel Friedlander
The remainder of these posts come from the genealogy world and offer advice on making the most of self-publishing, as well as some insight on various tools.
- Publishing Your Genealogy—Traditional vs. eBook, James Tanner
- Self-Publishing For Genealogists, Kimberly Powell
- A Personal Publishing Primer, Denise Barrett Olson
- Self-Publishing with Blurb, Lynn Palermo
- Make Your Book Page a Cousin Magnet, Denise Barrett Olson
- Self-Publishing Tips (Part 1) – Preparing the Manuscript, Marion Woodfork Simmons
- Self-Publishing Tips (Part 2) – Preparing to Hire an Editor and Designer, Marion Woodfork Simmons
- Give Your Book a Page on Your Blog, Denise Barrett Olson
After reading some of these posts, do you think self-publishing is something you want to pursue? Or do you think you’ll stick to the traditional route? I’d love to hear your thoughts on the subject, so be sure to leave me a comment and voice your opinion.