Since 2014, the National Genealogical Society has been offering live streaming of ten sessions (broken down into two tracks) during their annual conference. Although they are streamed live, those who register for one or both of the tracks can watch them live or on-demand at any time during the three months following the conference.
I have registered for one track every year (even in 2015 when I attended the conference) and have been pleased with both the live stream and the on-demand options. Although the price went up a bit this year, I have still registered for one track. This really is a great opportunity for those that can’t make it to the conference, especially because one of the tracks is dedicated to DNA, which is a hot topic right now.
The other nice thing about registering for the live stream/on-demand sessions is that you get a digital copy of the entire conference syllabus—what a bonus!
Here’s what’s on tap for this year:
Track #1 – DNA
- When You’re Not Who You Thought You Were, Pamela Boyer Sayre
Thursday, May 11 at 8:00 a.m. (Eastern)
- The Genetic Genealogy Revolution, Angie Bush
Thursday, May 11 at 9:30 a.m. (Eastern)
- Using Third-Party Tools to Analyze Your Autosomal DNA, Blain Bettinger
Thursday, May 11 at 11:00 a.m. (Eastern)
- DNA and the Hidden Half of the Family, Judy G. Russell
Thursday, May 11 at 2:30 p.m. (Eastern)
- Five Tips To Make Sense of Your DNA Testing, Diahan Southard
Thursday, May 11 at 4:00 p.m. (Eastern)
Track #2 – BCG Skillbuilding
- One Dollar and Natural Love and Affection: Analyzing Deeds Deeply, Michael Hait,
Friday, May 12 at 8:00 a.m. (Eastern)
- Recreating Your Ancestor’s Neighborhood, Barbara Vines Little
Friday, May 12 at 9:30 a.m. (Eastern)
- What’s the Evidence? How to Probe Documents Beyond the Obvious, Elizabeth Shown Mills
Friday, May 12 at 11:00 a.m. (Eastern)
- The Genealogical Proof Summary: What It Is and Is Not, Gail Jackson Miller
Friday, May 12 at 2:30 p.m. (Eastern)
- Converting a Bunch of Information into a Credible Conclusion, Thomas W. Jones
Friday, May 12 at 4:00 p.m. (Eastern)
You can register for one or both tracks, which entitles you to watch the sessions live AND access the recordings for three months (as well as a digital copy of the entire syllabus). You need to register by May 10, 2017. Pricing is as follows:
- For one track only – $95 for NGS members / $115 for non-members
- For both tracks – $150 for NGS members / $185 for non-members
To register for the live streaming, visit http://www.playbackngs.com/7770. If you are an NGS member, make sure you follow the instructions under the Pricing section, which ask that you use their link to log in to get the member discount code.
I’ll be registering for Track #2 and can’t wait to “attend” NGS 2017 from the comfort of my own home!